I began working with spotted owls in 2016 as a PhD student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The focus of my dissertation was the development of a landscape-scale acoustic monitoring program in the northern Sierra Nevada. Until then, spotted owl monitoring had been conducted small study areas, albeit with very detailed mark-recapture methods. I implemented a passive acoustic survey approach that allowed us to triple the spatial coverage of the nearest conventional study. This broad spatial coverage was essential to understanding the progression of the ongoing invasion of barred owls, as well as to allow for more robust inferences about the spotted owl population.
Check out the latest news here.
- Hofstadter, DF, NF Kryshak, CM Wood, BP Dotters, KN Roberts, KG Kelly, JJ Keane, SC Sawyer, PA Shaklee, HA Kramer, RJ Gutiérrez, and MZ Peery. 2022. Arresting the spread of invasive species in continental systems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. doi: 10.1002/fee.2458.
- Reid, D, CM Wood, SA Whitmore, WJ Berigan, JJ Keane, SC Sawyer, PA Shaklee, HA Kramer, KG Kelly, A Reiss, RJ Gutiérrez, H Klinck, MZ Peery. 2021. Noisy neighbors and reticent residents: Distinguishing resident from non-resident individuals to improve passive acoustic monitoring. Global Ecology and Conservation. e01710.
- Wood, CM, N Kryshak, M Gustafson, DF Hofstadter, BK Hobart, SA Whitmore, B Dotters, K Roberts, JJ Keane, SC Sawyer, Gutiérrez, and MZ Peery. 2021. Density dependence influences competition and hybridization at an invasion front. Diversity and Distributions. 00:0-12.
- Wood, CM, RJ Gutiérrez, JJ Keane, and MZ Peery. 2020. Early detection of rapid Barred Owl population growth within the range of the California Spotted Owl advises the Precautionary Principle. The Condor 122: 1-10.
- Wood, CM, SA Whitmore, RJ Gutiérrez, SC Sawyer, JJ Keane, and MZ Peery. 2018. Using metapopulation models to assess species conservation – ecosystem restoration trade-offs. Biological Conservation 224: 248-257